Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Self Care and Breathing

Wow. I keep having to learn the same lesson over and over again: I can't help anyone if I don't take care of myself.

It is counter-intuitive for mothers to put the oxygen mask on themselves first and then their charge if an airplane drops the masks. Or, continuing with this metaphor of breathing, ... as a person who works with elders, I learned that many pulmonary doctors ordered anti-anxiety medication for people with breathing disorders. Apparently, it is human nature to feel a little panicky when it is hard to breath.

This brings me back to self-care. I've been missing my morning meditation. Sure I get to sweep the patio and sit outside under the blue sky on the cool mornings - when I can. But the problem is that I don't get there as often as I'd like.

My meditation practice suffers when I miss too many mornings. Consider mindfulness meditation my medication for anxiety and worry.

Thankfully, I am home for a few weeks and the fall weather is kicking in. While I am a summer gal, there is such beauty sitting outside in the cool mornings with sunlight shining through the trees.

I am beginning to feel like I can breath again. Maybe I will remember how good this feels as I face changes. Maybe I will figure out how to stay in touch with this practice. I will love myself and others enough to keep attending to this practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment