Saturday, February 26, 2011

Life is hard enough


And then there are those times when I think: Life is hard enough.

Why make things more difficult?

As I watch a painful unraveling of so many things, relationships, ideas, services to the vulnerable, ... I wish for a simpler time, or an easier way of life. Often I find myself caught in the throws of building knots around the very thing I want to make better.

Sometimes, I even think that I can't take the difficulties any more. They are too much to bear.

This week has been one of those weeks. When I think it is hard, somehow there is more to it that adds more suffering. I can easily feel overwhelmed.

My prayer and meditation practices are very useful when I become aware of the constrictions, the fear. This business of cultivating loving-kindness or compassion towards myself, as well as, towards the source of pain has been so helpful.

One breath at a time, one step at a time, one cry at a time, one conversation at a time, one hug at a time. These simple, little motions are all I have to offer.

Moving through these times, I have found openings of love. There is nothing like a hug from a child with an "I love you." Or, a partner who hugs with every cell in his body. Or, a supervisor who really means it when she says that she will do her best for staff and clients. These simple graces pierce the heart.

Love is working like that these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment