Monday, February 13, 2012

Finn MacCool


I'm not sure when the dog thing kicked into gear, but it has really taken a hold.

As the dog path has been unfolding, I started with an attraction to big dogs. I even visited a litter of Great Pyrenees puppies on a farm near Lancaster with my youngest daughter. The farmer tried to talk me out of them saying they were bred for guarding animals. My daughter discouraged me saying those are working dogs and I don't have the right kind of work for them at our house. She said they'd be miserable.

I submitted applications for Pyr Rescue adoption, but I don't have a good fence. Someone said that while a 5' fence was okay, a 6' fence for Pyr's was better.

I looked into XL Dog Rescue out of Baltimore as a foster mom. But wasn't sure I was ready for the unknowns of a large dog coming out of a shelter environment from unknown circumstances.

Then these cute pictures of collies kept showing up through Petfinder.com with a link to Collie Rescue, Inc. Growing up on a farm, my first exposure to a dog was a rough collie - like Lassie. Pooch was such a good natured dog. As kids we could do anything to that dog without upsetting it. Later on our own kids played with great collie mixes who were also gentle souls.

I applied for a collie through Collie Rescue. But again, the lack of a fence was the barrier.

Then this past week, I put in for a collie named Finn, who has Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA). He's estimated to be 7 years old and described as sweet and affectionate. He'd been pulled from a shelter seemingly depressed. Foster mom says he just needed some attention.

He currently has some vision, but may eventually lose his sight completely. He doesn't like steps. The rescue folks were looking for a place with only one level... Hey wait, our home only has one floor. We bought the house with the idea of aging in place ourselves. As someone who works in geriatrics and has family members who are blind, I thought, he's our guy!

I'm not sure how much time I spent on phone interviews, but I am grateful the Collie Rescue, Inc. folks are so thorough.

The enthusiasm collie folks have is incredible and infectious. I would have rolled over and begged for a snack or pat of approval if they would have asked, and done it joyfully!

This past weekend, we had the home interview with everyone in the household there. We were told it would only take 30 minutes. The weather outside was bitterly cold with snow showers and gusty winds. Our friendly Collie volunteer Mary came and asked a few questions, which turned into a talk about life.

Why this dog? If I am really honest, I want a quiet, friendly, middle-aged dog. Someone to go on walks along the canal with me. Maybe one who will sit in on my counseling sessions, or go to eldercare facilities, or befriend with a dog's non-judgemental approach someone who needs a listening ear. I want a partner to play and work with me at home and out in the community. I want some doggy Buddha time, a teacher.

Four hours later, Mary knew who we were and we knew who she was.

I felt like we were now "in" a club I never knew existed before. The collie rescue lovers club. I already knew that if I could, that I would be at their annual collie rescue picnic. I also knew that if I needed help, she and a whole team of folks would be available to answer any questions.

Later in the day, Finn's foster mom called to say that we had been approved. Yippee!!!

With Foster Mom on the phone, I knew that while we wouldn't be bringing Finn MacCool home until next week, that I needed to meet him in person to help me and him have an easier transition. I just had to know if we had "chemistry." Partner and I changed our plans for the next day and arranged to visit Finn.

As everyone says who describes meeting Finn, what's not to love?

Whether it is because of low-vision or because it is his nature, Finn loves to love and be loved. He will crawl right up in your lap. He lays at your feet. He nudges for pats. He rolls over for belly rubs.

My heart opened so wide playing with him, I thought it would pop out. A physical feeling of his goodness was overwhelming as we played on the floor. It brought tears to my eyes.

Foster mom asked if it would be okay if she cried when he left. I said of course not. He's just that sweet.

When I got home with white dog hairs all over me, I spent some time on the couch with the family. My youngest daughter laid down on the couch looking at funny videos on the laptop and rest her head on my lap. It had been ages since she's done that. She's too ticklish for the rubs that I gave Finn, but it was sooo tempting.

So, I expect to lose the battle of keeping dog hairs cleaned up. We've already lost that one and he isn't even here, yet. I knew that bringing in another soul meant a whole lot more messiness in my life. But that is exactly what I need - a less orderly, predictable life in response to a one that has been growing ever smaller and tighter.

Yes, that is what I have been missing. The synergy of open-hearted love that creates even more love, where loves come pouring out of new cracks and creates a larger place to live from.

2 comments:

  1. Something about the name Finn seems right and the rest just follows.

    ReplyDelete