Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hummingbird Summer


I just have to share some good news... My sister-in-law alerted friends on Facebook that the hummingbirds were back.

I thought they didn't return until the first weeks of June. But I was home today and put out the sugar mixture. The day has been perfect: temperatures in the upper 70's, blue skies and puffy clouds, a nice breeze.

By late afternoon, I still hadn't seen anything. But because the day was so nice, I practiced the harp outside.

The birds and the bees were flying around. Tiger swallowtails were lighting on my blue music tote.

Something buzzed by. Ahhh, as in awesome, a hummingbird. It first sat on my metal patio chair. Shiny jewel-like tones shimmered as its rapid breathing moved its little body.

I continued to play the harp. It sat only about 8' from me on that little chair rim. A breeze kicked up and it flew to the trees nearby. Soon a few more hummingbirds were flying and dive-bombing each other.

Technically, summer isn't for another month. But with these warm-weather friends back, life feels more vibrant and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment