Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm not old; I'm ancient


Sometimes there are things so sweet that they have to be shared. I just got finished listening to a very basic, bland webinar on spirituality and aging. About half-way through the talk, I found myself checking my e-mail and Facebook page.

Through Facebook, a friend connected me to a site called Walking the Red Road - dedicated to giving voice to First Nations people. Walking the Red Road was a nice antidote to the Western mind's linear and intellectual thinking I heard on the webinar.

Checking out the photos on Walking the Red Road, I found quotes associated with the faces of contemporary Native People elders. Below is a one that caught my attention.

"I am not old; I'm ancient. And when you're ancient, you never get old."

Vi Hilbert, Upper Skagit


Now there is a long view on aging and eldering if I ever heard one.

And for those of you who are interested in reading Vi's "signature" story about Lady Louse, you will be treated to a very short, but important story.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8156

1 comment: