Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fantasy vs Reality


I had the good luck to attend a music program away from home in my youth. My head was full of ideas and dreams about becoming a musician when I grew up and how much better it would be than living on a farm. In fact, I married a farmer and moved a whopping 12 miles from my own family farm onto his family farm.

What a funny cosmic joke.

As I look back over 48 years of life, I am trying to make sense of my youth and early adulthood, as well as, to reclaim parts of myself that I feel were lost along the way. I am playing with notions of what it might be like to live as an artist or musician. Here is one of those games I play.

Reason number 87 on why being a musician might not be as great or wonderful as I imagined it to be:

I don't want to have a heart attack at a Holiday Inn after having dinner at the Howard Johnson's.

David Soyer, founding cellist, Guerneri String Quartet borrowing Claus Adam's quote of the Julliard Quartet, upon retirement in 2001
2-27-10 New York Times obituary B-8


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/arts/music/27soyer.html

1 comment:

  1. I know you are a musician and artist and the heart attack might be more likely if you fight the knowing.
    thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete